My energy is fading fast, so I’ll have to keep this quick. Perhaps bullet points will suffice?
- Flew from Boston to Frankfurt – had complimentary wine, beer, and whiskey! Landed at 5:30am and took train into downtown Frankfurt for breakfast. Spent a few hours walking around, but all I could find were strip clubs and erotic shops. Everything else closed. I forgot to pack a jacket.
- Watched WALL-E on the plane from Frankfurt to Malabo to Abuja, and slept the rest of the way. Little kids in the row behind me. Argh.
- Made it through customs in Abuja, only to find that our hotel taxi pick up was nowhere to be found. Ended up paying half the hotel’s quoted rate with a local taxi. Score!
- Checked into hotel, which is more than adequate for my taste – swimming pool, several bars, lots of people! Received phone call in room from the driver-who-didn’t-show-up, demanding payment because he was in fact there, waiting for me. Eh. Told him I wouldn’t pay him, but am using him tomorrow as a driver. Negotiated good daily rate.
- Tired, prostitutes staring at me from the hotel bar. No way. Going to bed.
Ha! The Internet connection is slow here, but I think I’ll be able to upload pictures in a few days. Stay tuned.